Upper back pain
Where does it hurt?
Upper back pain
Upper back pain is pain anywhere in the back from the bottom of the rib cage to the base of the neck. Upper back pain is not as common as lower back pain since the bones in this area do not flex or move as much as those in the lower back. Still, upper back pain causes significant discomfort when it occurs.
Upper back pain treatments include:
Upper back pain symptoms include:
- Muscle tightness
- Dull burning
- Sharp pain
- Numbness in limbs
Upper Back Pain Causes & Conditions:
- Myofascial pain – Long-lasting pain that affects the connective tissue (fascia) of muscles
- Joint dysfunction – Pain caused in the sacroiliac joint
- Herniated disc – Bulging or rupture of disc causing pain
- Overuse or muscle strain – Muscle pain from tears and overuse
- Improper posture – Imbalances in the upper back cause strain that lead to disc problems and inflammation
- Osteoarthritis – The breakdown of cartilage in the small disc joints that cushion the spine movement
Most commonly upper back pain is related to muscle strain or myfascial pain; in many cases this pain can be corrected through trigger point therapy and trigger point injections.
Another common culprit of upper back pain is joint dysfunction that can be treated by chiropractic adjustments. Adjustments help mobilize the joint, stretch the spine and shoulders, and reduce pain.
These are just a few of the most common upper back pain conditions. Upper back pain treatments may vary for specific conditions. If you are suffering from upper back pain contact your nearest Premier Pain Management today and gain upper back pain relief.
Responsible Pain Management
Same-day appointments available!